Wigan 28 Widnes 12

  • Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Widnes Vikings 28-12 at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon

  • Warriors come out on top in hard fought game

  • Tony Clubb marked his return with a try with Sean O’Loughlin, Lewis Tierney and two from Joe Burgess completing the scoring for the Warriors.


Joe Burgess scored two late tries as Wigan saw off Widnes in a hard fought game at the DW Stadium.

Shaun Wane’s side dominated the first half as they controlled possession and won the territorial battle. Sean O’Loughlin’s try, his second of the season, edged Wigan in front before the returning Tony Clubb crashed over with Lewis Tierney adding another out wide. Wigan were 16-0 to the good but were pegged back on the stroke of half time when Lloyd White scored on half time.

The Vikings were spurred on by White’s try and his breakaway effort along with a second conversion put them within four points. Widnes continued to press but the Warriors dug in before two late Burgess tries sealed the victory.


Tony Clubb returned for his first match since a Kidney operation as Joel Tomkins dropped out meaning Ryan Sutton started at prop. Liam Marshall and Tom Davies dropped out of the squad to make way for Anthony Gelling and Lewis Tierney with Joe Burgess back on the wing.

Widnes lost star playmaker Rangi Chase following last week’s important victory against Leigh Centurions. Chase was replaced by Tom Gilmore in the halves with Stefan Marsh coming in for Ryan Ince.


The Warriors controlled the opening to the game as they dominated possession and territory and that pressure finally told when a perfectly judged Tommy Leuluai chip fell just in front of the in goal line to find Sean O’Loughlin who timed his run to perfection to score. Williams was successful with his first attempt and Wigan led 6-0 after 18 first half minutes.

The Warriors continued to put pressure on the firm Widnes defence with a number of sets on their line. Wigan again were eventually able to penetrate the defence as a show of brute strength from the returning Tony Clubb saw him burst into the in goal. Williams converted again for a 12-0 lead with seven minutes of the half remaining.

A third try came not long after. Wigan wasted no time as a sweeping move saw the defence leave the flank open with John Bateman able to draw the remaining defenders before firing the ball to Lewis Tierney to score comfortably.

The complexion of the game changed when, out of seemingly nowhere, the Vikings had found their way onto the scoreboard just before half time. The Warriors made a break through Joe Mellor before a high ball from Corey Thompson found Lloyd White who pounced to score. White converted his own try with the half time score at 16-6.

HALF TIME: Wigan Warriors 16–6 Widnes Vikings


The second half began with Widnes much more in the contest following their try with more and more field position.

Dennis Betts’ side were able to grab the first points of the second half when Danny Craven’s kick came off of the back of Bateman and White reacted fastest to dart through the Wigan defensive line and complete the score. He again converted his own try with the lead cut to four, 16-12 after 17 minutes of play in the second half.

The pendulum had certainly swung in favour of Widnes but the Cherry and Whites stood strong as the reintroductions of O’Loughlin and then Clubb gave them a boost. Some great defence saw Wigan shut Widnes out, Joe Burgess’ fine one on one tackle on Stefan Marsh the pick of the bunch.

It was Burgess who helped drag the Warriors clear as they launched a good attack and Sam Tomkins’ cut-out pass found the winger to score in the corner to take the lead to 22-12 with just six minutes remaining.

The victory was assured for the Warriors when a perfectly weighted grubber from Liam Farrell saw Burgess tear up the metres to ground the ball ahead of the defenders. Williams converted magnificently from the touchline to complete the win.

FULL TIME: Wigan Warriors 28–12 Widnes Vikings

Match Information

Wigan Warriors - 28

Tries: Sean O’Loughlin, Tony Clubb, Lewis Tierney, Joe Burgess 2

Goals: George Williams 4/5

Widnes Vikings - 12

Tries: Lloyd White 2

Goals: Lloyd White 2/2

HT: 16-6

Attendance: 12,758

Wigan Warriors: 1. Sam Tomkins, 21. Lewis Tierney, 3. Anthony Gelling, 4. Oliver Gildart, 5. Joe Burgess, 6. George Williams, 7. Tommy Leuluai, 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala, 9. Micky McIlorum, 19. Ryan Sutton, 14. John Bateman, 12. Liam Farrell, 13. Sean O’Loughlin

Interchange: 15. Tony Clubb, 16. Sam Powell, 28. Jack Wells, 20. Willie Isa

Widnes Vikings: 32. Danny Craven, 17. Stefan Marsh, 3. Chris Bridge, 4. Charly Runciman, 2. Corey Thompson, 6. Joe Mellor, 7. Tom Gilmore, 15. Gil Dudson, 9. Lloyd White, 10. Jack Buchanan, 12. Matt Whitley, 11. Chris Houston, 13. Hep Cahill

Interchange: 8. Eamon O’Carroll, 16. Alex Gerrard, 25. Tom Olbison, 33. Aaron Heremaia

Referee – Scott Mikalauskas

Gallery Images

Official Partners